Since 2018, Phokhar University (PoU) had started bachelor and Master in Optometry in the collaboration with Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology (TIO) and Netra Jyoti Sang: Himalayan Eye Institute.
Himalaya Eye Hospital (HEH) was established in 1993 with the aim of providing comprehensive eye care services to the people residing in Gandaki, Dhaulagiri and Karnali zones. Therefore, the program as a whole is called Gandaki, Dhaulagiri Eye Care Program (GDECP). The HEH serves as the base hospital for the GDECP Eye Care Foundation (ECF), earlier Eye Care Worldwide, Foundation Eye Care Himalaya is the INGO that has been providing financial support to the Program and Nepal Netra Jyoti Sangh (NNJS) is the local counterpart NGO.
Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology (TIO) was opened in 1994. It is the implementing body of the Nepal Eye Program, a not-for-profit, community-based organization. With an aim to act as a model for treatment, research and training, one of the active members of Apex Body for eye health, Ministry of Health (MoH), Nepal and working in co-operation with all other eye care centres in Nepal.
Bachelor program in PoU
The bachelor optometry in PoU depended on following objectives
- To provide competent, compassionate and community-oriented optometrist who is capable of providing exclusive vision care, identify ocular and related systemic illness to be referred to medical practitioners, treat common eye disorders.
- To provide knowledge and develop practical skills in primary eye health care in the field of visual, optical and behavioural science for high school graduates.
- Develop the research and scientific writing skills through the introduction of research methods, term paper and thesis.
- Ensure the skilful, practical and leading human resources through the community diagnosis and comprehensive field practices.
- Develop the extracurricular competencies through training and seminar.
PoU Bachelor in Optometry curriculum
Master in Optometry
What are the main program Objectives,
Provide optometrists with up-to-date research-based and theoretical knowledge on Eye and Visual system particularly in primary care optometry.
Develop skill in in-depth management/co-management of eye and vision system disorders with other medical disciplines.
Provide the student with comprehensive knowledge on Research and Statistics and its translation for improving quality of eye and vision care service.
To introduce new and more precise techniques into the investigation and correction of vision-related problems in patients and provide knowledge on various sub-specialities.
To be able to act as an educator for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Master in Optometry program curriculum,