Optometrists and Optometry Profession at a Glance: Nepal
Optometry profession is relatively new in Nepal with only 22 years of historical background. Until 2017, the Institute of Medicine was the only institute offering optometry education in Nepal. Later from the year 2018, two universities- National Academy of Medical Sciences and Pokhara University have lined up to deliver optometry education at the undergraduate level.
Further, Pokhara University has come up with a course to deliver Master’s level of optometry education for the first time in Nepal. Adding the number of graduated optometrists from Indian universities and other abroad optometry colleges, optometry professionals form a huge bulk of more than 1200 members registered in Nepal Health Professionals Council (NHPC).
It is clear that there is a huge workforce engaged in the diverse area of the eye and vision care, from clinics to hospitals, from practice to education, and from research to application. Every member of the fraternity is young, energetic, enthusiastic, motivated, passionate and dedicated towards delivering eye care service for the elimination of blindness and betterment of the society.
This conference will bring optometrists, ophthalmologists, ophthalmic assistants, opticians, and eye health workers under a unique platform to exchange their educational experience of the eye and vision care through research and innovation.
- To explore the possibilities of affordable and sustainable cure of eye conditions.
- To discuss and explore challenges and opportunity in optometric education and profession.
- To support, share and inspire optometrists with optometric knowledge, skills and experience.
- To network and collaborate among optometrists and eye care professionals for professional and educational upliftment.
- To discuss the current issues related to optometric advocacy and policy formulation.
AOE: Board Member
M.Optom, FAAO, AFHEA || Scientia PhD Scholar UNSW Sydney, Australia || Lecturer, Institute of Medicine, Nepal
Clinical and Academic Instructor, BPKLCOS, IOM, TUTH
B.OPTM, Founder MEF
B. OPTM, Fellowship on BSV and VT , DECS