Optometrists and Optometry Profession at a Glance
Optometry profession is relatively new in Nepal with only 22 years of historical background. Until 2017, the Institute of Medicine was the only institute offering optometry education in Nepal. Later from the year 2018, two universities- National Academy of Medical Sciences and Pokhara University have lined up to deliver optometry education at the undergraduate level.
Further, Pokhara University came up with a course to deliver Master’s level of optometry education for the first time in Nepal. Adding the number of graduated optometrists from Indian universities and other abroad optometry colleges, optometry professionals form a huge bulk of more than 1200 members registered in Nepal Health Professionals Council (NHPC).
It is clear that there is a huge workforce engaged in the diverse area of the eye and vision care, from clinics to hospitals, from practice to education, and from research to application. Every member of the fraternity is young, energetic, enthusiastic, motivated, passionate and dedicated towards delivering eye care service for the elimination of blindness and betterment of the society.
This conference will bring optometrists, ophthalmologists, ophthalmic assistants, opticians, and eye health workers under a unique platform to exchange their educational experience of the eye and vision care through research and innovation.
- To explore the possibilities of affordable and sustainable cure of eye conditions.
- To discuss and explore challenges and opportunity in optometric education and profession.
- To support, share and inspire optometrists with optometric knowledge, skills and experience.
- To network and collaborate among optometrists and eye care professionals for professional and educational upliftment.
- To discuss the current issues related to optometric advocacy and policy formulation.
Deadline for the abstract submission (15th February 2021)
Abstract Submission Guidelines
The conference organising committee is requesting to submit high-quality unpublished abstracts. The abstract presentation will be virtual from home, office, clinic or lab. The abstract should contain unpublished research results until the submission deadline at earliest. Please ensure abstract is free of spelling and grammatical errors.
Information for the abstract submission.
- Type of abstract: original, case series, review, technical report
- Type of presentation: oral (virtual from home, office, clinic, lab), poster (virtual, video presentation optional).
- The abstract should contain a concise title, list of authors, author affiliation, the body of the abstract (statement of purpose, brief methods, a summary of results and conclusion or implications)
- Word count should be below 250 words for the body of the abstract.
- Please indicate the thematic area as well (e.g., cornea, contact lens, public health, strabismus etc.)
- Please add three keywords for your abstract.
- Please declare your potential conflict of interest if there is any.
- The abstract submission shall be made both via email and online submission though we encourage online submission. You will receive confirmation of your abstract submission by 24 hours of processing your abstract.
- No reference is needed for the abstract.
- For the correspondence about the abstract, presenting author will be a corresponding author and should provide a detailed address, an email and/or phone number.
- The committee does not encourage to put any figure &/or table in the abstract.
- The abstract selection committee will review all submitted abstracts and notify the presenting/corresponding author regarding abstract acceptance. Presentation guideline, time and date will be communicated in-person to the presenting/ corresponding author of the selected abstracts.
- All abstracts accepted for presentation will be published on the conference proceeding and will be available to presenters.
- If there is a change in author/s or presenting author, should the committee be informed in time by 15 Feb 2021.
- Use 12 point times new roman with 1.5 line spacing for the body of abstract including methods, results and conclusion. Page margin should be set at 2.5 cm all round.
- If you need to receive a formal acceptance of your abstract in order to be funded &/or to present to the conference, please write this in your e-mail when you submit your abstract. This will be mailed to you upon abstract acceptance.
- The organizing committee reserves the right to edit abstracts for clarity or correctness of English but will consult the author if any significant changes are needed.
- The decision of the abstract will be made by 15 Jan 2022.
- Students’ attractions
- Case & photos presentation
- 5 mins presentation
- poster presentation
- Best optometrist award (contribution to optometry education and research in Nepal)
Fees for conference registration
National and SAARC: $8 (USD)
(Nepal, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan)
International (Except for SAARC): $20 (USD)
**Note: Presenters will get the 50% off on the conference registration.
Registration fee is charged only to cover admistrative expenses of the conference.